February 3

Mankind is like dogs, not gods. As long as you don't get mad, they'll bite you. But stay mad, and you'll never be bitten. Dogs don't respect humility and sorrow. [jack kerouac]

I'll admit to one frustration: life is Cambodia is often disconcerting. In this world, I believe hope is real, relevant, and attainable, but the more that I see of it, the more I realize my own diminution; and the more I've come to realize, accept, and understand its perverse survival mechanisms. I've been here 5 months, and everyday I encounter deception and swindle, from the motodope to the waffle vender, a man to his neighbor. Everyday we falter, everyday I ask for certainty, and everyday I am saddened by man's broken and entropic state.

Buechner says, "God calls us to the place where our deep laughter and the world's deep hunger meet." How do we get there? How do we achieve balance? How do we emerge pragmatism, optimism, sorrow, hope?
Comments:
gotta love Buechner. I'm sorry trina, I know it, man is broken, but don't lose hope, don't put trust in mankind but in God. or only man that is lost himself in God. I feel that now, I'm full of self and feel stuck. My heart is broken over and over and I also affect others,and they get hurt... How do I get there? How does my hope find peace? How do I lose myself in God? I think that at least we're asking the right questions, it may take a lifetime, but we need to keep taking steps forward steps.. one step at a time, some big, some little. Do I make sense? is this relevant to what you are saying? there's such a big realm of thought, i may have just touched some edge...
 
wow, insightful post by trina followed by and equally insightful post by ryan. too much ...

it would be hard to live where survival is so conditioned by the society that so many moral values are thrown out the window. what's sad from my point of view is that it's not impossible for them to rise above it, but because of what society has taught them, it sure seems impossible. or at least not worth it.

just wanted to stop by and say hi. you're not forgotten.

cheers!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

August 2007   September 2007   October 2007   November 2007   January 2008   February 2008   March 2008   April 2008   May 2008   June 2008  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]