February 23

This last Thursday was a Buddhist holiday called Mahka Bucha, and since our school is seemingly 90% Buddhist and government affiliated, we got the day off. I went with Heather to Monument Books, and after that to Toul Thom Poung with Liz, so she could buy some new clothes. I've have been low on cash ever since my trip to Thailand, so I stayed outside to kill some time and avoid the temptation of extra spending. I had skipped lunch, so I got some noodles from a street vender, when a beggar approached me, like they always do. He put his hat out in front of me, "som mah-roy" (could you spare 100 reil?) he said. I slipped a bill in his hat and he thanked me and left. The problem with street venders is that their isn't a place to sit, and the problem with Toul Thom Poung, is that on all sides of the street are obnoxious abrasive men, hoping to sell you something, take you on their moto, or strike up an intrusive conversation. I open the bag, standing up, eating quickly with my chopsticks when the beggar approaches me again, speaking in Khmer. I told him I didn't speak Khmer, so he started to speak in English. "When I see you eat like this, on the road, I think you're like me, Khmer. I live on the streets, I sleep outside. Why not eat inside with the rest of the foreigners? They have a nice table for you there, you can pay after you eat." His english was perfect. "Yeah, but I have no money," I say. "Why have you come to Cambodia, hoping to find work?" "I work already, I teach English." "Did you come here all alone? Why are you alone?" he asks. "I close my tray of noodles. "No, I am waiting for a friend, I think I have to meet her now..." I lie and walk away.

Not that I don't love teaching English, or feel that my work here is not gratifying and useful, but something about this conversation strikes painful epiphanies. This man speaks perfect English, yet what has it done for him? He still sleeps on the streets. I was talking earlier to my brother, about if I would return as a missionary after I finished school and what I would do, and I told him I'd like to do more along the lines of work that ADRA does, or maybe something medical. I don't favor the mystery of not seeing the immediate benefits of my service abroad. Many of my kids might grow up and stay in Cambodia, where there is no tourism or need to speak English. Anne was telling me about the work they do for ADRA. They go out to all the provinces and teach the women about proper healthcare, cleanliness, how to properly care for their infants, then instruct the women to teach others and keep paying the knowledge forward. Those women are hired, thus creating jobs for the locals, fulfilling an immediate need. And so I asked myself, why am I bending over backwards, at my best still poorly educating children on irrelevant topics (like nursery rhymes and the ABCs), when so many other areas scream need and desperation, in the form of disease and death, hunger, violence. Am I really benefitting this country, these children by teaching them English? I am planting a seed, sure, creating somewhat of a possiblity or an opportunity for the future, maybe. But what if it makes little or no difference? Does it?
Comments:
Punky, speaking English doesn't change your personality. If you are lazy or dishonest or any other quality that loses you jobs, you won't go far in life. Why do Cambodian parents want their children to speak English? Is it because they hope their children will someday leave Cambodia and they think English will be a more useful language to know in a foreign country than Khmer? Maybe they even hope they will go to America, the land of promise to many. There must be some reason parents are willing to pay money for a school like yours. You may not know why God put you there, but it can't be for no reason, and it can't be because He thought you would teach in Khmer. Perhaps there's no other reason than because you can offer a better education than the other schools and you only know how to speak English. Don't second guess God. I'm only just beginning to learn that. If only someone kept telling me that! Love you so much, Mommy
 
mom, it isn't that...necessarily. i know education is important, but why are we investing all of this time into teaching them the ABC's, when their mothers and fathers don't even know basic lessons in cleanliness....? to prevent their children from simple disease which kills. i mean, the world is desperate for knowledge, basic knowledge...

serena wrote this paper that she thought we should send less missionaries abroad, and keep more in the united states because we needed to strengthen our foundations first, it was like jenga, we're taking from the bottom and trying to add to the top. but i couldn't disagree more. i mean, i watched some jose rojas dvd last night with liz, and he said that america is the country with the most childhood obesity, and every 2 minutes a child dies from aids, and every 2 seconds a child dies from hunger...

these families, these children, these mothers and fathers.... need immediate help... so they can survive to see tomorrow...

i just can't help but feel like our focus is continually on the wrong thing...

do you know what i mean... at all?
 
Yeah, I see. I guess I hear stories about teaching people about cleanliness, but I don't really think they need it as much as you do, because I haven't seen that. I mean we have cooking schools and stuff, but I don't think people NEED them, we just have them because people find them more convenient than learning it from a cookbook themselves. But I hear you saying that these people really NEED them because they CAN'T learn about this themselves. I can see why you want to be a different kind of missionary. It kinda makes me see things a little differently now...maybe my missionary experience will be different than I thought it would be before.
 
oh TP! i believe you're learning valuable things.
 
I question why I am here and if me teaching 41 3rd graders here in Honduras for 10 months is really making a difference at all too...sometimes it feels like a waist of time...and like they are not learning anything that will be of use to them in their future...but someone once told me that if nothing else I am showing them love...I have been reading your blogs and I think you are truley making a difference in these kids lives. If nothing else you are giving them love...some of them love that they have never felt before. God care about what you are doing and he is working through you!
 
my first reaction was, boy Ecclesiastes is really getting to her. then i thought i should quick try and think of something warm and wise to say, but i can't think of it yet... :) I'll tell you about what your Grandma said about one of her patients... later. I'm late for something.
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
On my walk to work today I remembered what your Grandma said and what I wanted to say to you.

As you know, your grandma works at a hospital for the criminally insane, so she is aware of her patients' misdeeds, but tries to treat them each with dignity. She described one of her patients, a young black man in his early twenties: "So many of my patients seem like they never had any love in their lives. This one young man would jerk away every time you got close enough to touch him. I tried to be gentle and earn his trust over time, and now he lets me touch him and the shoulder and he doesn't pull away...like he's opening up to receiving love" And then your grandma teared up and said "I can't help but think that we had something to do with it..." and I knew/remembered how lucky I am to have been loved so well as a child by a woman who understands it in her very bones.

My point is not that the Cambodian children aren't loved by their parents, only that we make huge differences in small ways in the love and dignity that we bring to people in every day life. You bring far more than just English to your children, and on your own admission, receive much as well. And being willing to give of yourself in a difficult circumstance is all the more. You may never be able to measure the difference you make, but you WILL experience the blessing of it (yes...I suppose I do believe in karma...)

11:15 AM
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

August 2007   September 2007   October 2007   November 2007   January 2008   February 2008   March 2008   April 2008   May 2008   June 2008  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]