October 30

This summer, while I was in an art store in Newport with my family, I picked up a journal, yellow with big white letters on the cover reading, “She decided to start living the life she imagined”. Now me, I am quixotic and ridiculous like this, fell in love with the phrase, with its meaning and the way it looks and sounds strung into a row, and my grandma bought it for me, saying, “You must write in it while you are in Cambodia”, ecstatic at my new possession, my intentions were and are deliberate in matching title and content. And now here I am, months later, in Cambodia, on the back of a motorbike for 20 K, on my way to a waterfall just out of Sihanoukville, on a quiet red dirt road, lush green on both sides, the wind in my hair, my spirit free and independent, thinking that situations like this exceed any expectation or imagined plan for my life at 19. And I wondered again to myself, “Right now, is the life I'm choosing to the live the one I imagined?” Where has my youth gone? I wonder this at times, Nada Surf's "The Blankest Year" blasts from my headphones, comes on when I shuffle songs on my ipod, "Oh, to hell with it," it repeats, in catchy melody, drums and simple bar chords, "I"m gonna throw a party" Such simplicity, irresponsibility in life has its short-lived joys, light-hearted, good energy, yet this kind of life is not mine, it cannot be for me. I look at my life, I am 19 years old, I work long hours, wake up early in the morning, stay up late worrying about the grades of my students, their well-being, if they will pass or fail. I am a missionary, careful in the things I wear, say, in the example I give. I yell and scream, suffer myself and make others suffer for their insubordination. I ask myself this as I ride down the road, the voices in my head argue, destructive of the solitude and peace I once felt from the wind blowing through my hair. I live on my own in a 3rd world country, with lots of people putting their trust in me, in my abilities and in my knowledge. Is this the life I imagined? I will keep writing and you can keep reading, and then maybe you will know.

Ly Heng, my first grade student with great English, asked me where I was going for Christmas. I told him that I was going to the United States to see my family, and all of the kids in the first row that could hear past the giggling and squirliness of group coloring, yelled out, “Me go with you!” Ly Chard’s eyes got all big, “Me go with you!” Chhoun and Ly Chard both grabbed my hands, “If I not go with you, I will cry!” “I want to take you with me,” I said to both of them, “But I have no money. You need a lot of money. Do you have a lot of money?” Both Chhoun and Chard in unison, sang “I have! I have!” And they went on to write numbers of thousands of reil they had in the air with their pencils (4000 reil is equivalent to $1 US), “I have lots of money!” Chard kept going, “And I will stay with you, in the house you, and I will sleep in the bed with you.” Chhoun wants to sleep outside, and Lasa, the smallest boy in my class, perked up his head, “Teacher!" he said beaming, "I will sleep in the room!” “You go to the U.S., Will you come back?” Ly Heng asked. And before I could answer, students started yelling, and Chard's eyes got all glassy, “Come back! Come back! Come back!”
Comments:
I wish we could afford to have you bring a few of your students to the US and take them to Disneyland or Seaworld. I know that it will be so hard for you to leave at the end of the school year. Those kids have become the most important thing to you. I miss you and love you.
 
thanks dad, i don't think kids are allowed to leave the country for short visits (without family) anyways, that's what Rithy told me. I love you and miss you too.
 
Trina they are sooo sweet! "Come back"...break your heart? take life as it comes Trina...but be proactive in what you want. ~Emaline
 
if i promise to try and figure out how to get tickets, will you promise to take me to all these places some day? do you have photos of the waterfall?
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

August 2007   September 2007   October 2007   November 2007   January 2008   February 2008   March 2008   April 2008   May 2008   June 2008  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]