rithya (ritt-tee--ya)

October 24

I have a certain pride issue that feels insulted when anyone thinks I could be anything but good and okay. I am fine and strong and everyone loves me. I have no problems, no struggles, and I bend over backwards to please them all. And yet I stand incredibly sensitive in a country with no tact, no skill or familiarity in diplomacy or civility. Where I don’t know if I’m to yell at someone or just stand there wounded, in a country where I don’t know what to think of myself, because I have no idea what anyone else might think of me (until arriving upon today’s epiphany that I just can’t and don’t care, and that I have plenty of people back at home, and even in Cambodia, who love me for exactly who I am and that’s more than enough). My first graders love me, I know this; they keep me alive and warm-blooded and sane (the love goes both ways). Yet as much as 30 students can change your life (and already have), the rest of the world is there to pound on you, and the devil knows your weaknesses and can use them in the most unlikely places. Other faculty, the whole education system, middle school students, parents, the fact that an arse (pardon my lame euphemism) in the higher elementary kicked Sotha so hard he was sobbing and couldn’t breathe; he comes into my classroom most breaks and after school, muttering Khmer phrases with dirty looks on his face, a bitter moment in this blurry experience of being lost in translation, a situation that is becoming increasingly difficult to just ignore.

Female teachers in their forties, come to me, and say, in front of students in all grades of either sex, that they like or dislike my breasts, that they notice what type of bra I wear because of the way they sag or don’t sag, and that when I sit up straight, they look nice and full, and when I slouch down I look like an old man. Awkward, intrusive statements are no big deal, and I feel picked apart from people from any age, and for the first time, just wish my youth would wither away and no one would care at all how I looked or how far my stomach sticks out or what kind of shoes I wear. Surprised and confused about how materialistic people seem to be in this country, with burning trash on most roadsides, naked and poor children on every street corner. Maybe it's a good distraction, or ignorance (or more like denial) is bliss. I guess I understand, but sometimes I wish I didn't.

A student in my 8th grade prayed that all the good students could go to heaven and the rest would go to hell, and after he said Amen and there was a roar of laughter, I first felt furious at their disrespect, which soon turned to disillusionment in the way in which we are teaching or showing Christianity in the mission field, or anywhere really. Everyone wants to go to heaven and no one wants to die. I read once from an Aaron Weiss interview in Relevant Magazine that the Christianity he had witnessed seemed to be so entirely focused on the afterlife (you will be rewarded in heaven, vengeance is mine, saith the Lord) But what about the life I'm living right now? Is fear really the heart of love? This blog took an entirely different turn, but I’ll suffice it to say that life is not easy, nor is it fair, and while some say life is short, it could be the longest thing we’ll ever do, and maybe I want to make mine count.
Comments:
make it count Trina. God's says you count.

the people there that you spend ALL your time, stay strong with them. sticking to the word of God written on your heart to deal with interesting differences.

I love you dear trina. I like your writing. Ask questions that count. and have answers God gives you along the way.

i made comments below on older blogs.
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
I have observed mom and the hardest part of teaching is the adults. I also know that there is a tide that turns often when teaching teenagers. I remember when they let Mr. Lutz go at VVAA, that they loved him only a couple of years before that. People are funny and fickle. You are admired by me alot and I love you for who you are. As much as we love this church and school, it is especially hard on mom as she is in a fishbowl all the time. But God did say that Pastors and Teachers will be held to a higher standard and it seems that the adults are the critical ones that hold them to that. I don't think that is what God had in mind though. But, as a co-worker of mom told her, you can only do what you think is right and ignore the critisism or you will go crazy. I admire you in so many ways and am so proud of what you are doing. Your first graders are so so so cute. I want to visit you and play with them. Wrestle with the boys. Hug and kiss your students also. Love you the mostest.
 
From (one of) my favorite movie(s):

The more you know what you want, the less you let things bother you.

I agree with your dad--people are fickle. And sometimes the things that come out of their mouths are better left unsaid.

You love your students, and your students love you. I have seen it with my own eyes. Don't let the words of tactless, fickle people bother you.

Many prayers. Much love.
 
Hi Trina! You've got just what it takes to be there...nothing you gave yourself...but everything God is giving you daily. The strength you'll need will come in just the right amounts....don't worry about running out. I'm so happy for you and I love hearing about your year. Keep it up! Love Emily
 
YOU ROCK !!! TRINA
NEIL
 
My Trina! Things always seems hard when we see them from this angle! Seems like it's always easier to accept the bad others say than the good.
In my literatura class this week, we discussed whether we are good people coated in bad habits and characteristics achieved through a flamboyant life style. Or if on the other hand we are rooted in malice and over time and maturity in our society we become acceptably better individuals.
Really for me I think that we are bad people and only through the grace of God and his character building in us we can shine as trustworthy, well spoken, humble individuals!
If i had the means i would march over there and tell them what's what! Although I've learned that others tend to learn from you when you show them an accepting, carefree, and real response. There have been so many times this year that i could have started a huge argument but i held my tongue and prayed a quick prayer for me and the other, surprising even myself that i could so quickly turn to God! I'm not a saint, I miss up I know, but believe me those who tickle your nerves (to say it lightly) will remember you more if you are the girl who accepted what they said as valid and lived her life all the more fully respecting herself as the beautiful girl she is,than some one who told them off, or on that hand blew then off!
You are so strong trina, with so many gifts to show others! You're a true example of individuality and humility! I know God is showing through you even if you don't see the results. BELIEVE IT!
 
Why is it that so many more people comment on your blog when you are feeling down? Do appreciate the encouragement or does it get you down? I, for one, enjoy all your blogs and although this does not let us know how you are doing truely, but only how you are feeling when you blog, it showa that you are a thinking, caring, sensitive, strong, and kind person. I feel that you are growing stronger and God is using you, testing you, and you are and will do great work for him. Love you so much.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

August 2007   September 2007   October 2007   November 2007   January 2008   February 2008   March 2008   April 2008   May 2008   June 2008  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]