august 29

The traffic in asia has always, from my previous and present experiences, been chaotic. Beyond chaotic. Dangerous. Deadly? To the average american, I'd say driving is definitely not safe. You don't have lanes, signs, rules, regulations, and the few traffic lights they installed, nobody stops at. If you do stop, traffic will run into you from behind. No, it is not wise or safe to follow the rules. Some people have cars, some have bikes, but most ride on motorcycles. You can ride on the back of a "moto" (what they call it), for about $.25. Even though their driving is so crazy, they don't have more accidents than we do in the U.S. It is okay to have someone else drive you here. But today, I rode my bike to school. There is a 5 way stop, I turn uphill, and cars, motos, trucks, bikes, they came at me from every direction. Everyone is stopped and honking, and I just get off my bike as I am cornered in traffic and starting to tip over on my bike (that is too big for me, as the previous owner was a Caucasian male volunteer from last year who was at least over 6 ft. A group of young local boys laughed at me, point, wave at me. I am going to die. Will I ever get used to this? Should I get used to this?

Yesterday, JC took us to town. We went by the Mekhong River, and there was Buddhist religious festival in front of the palace. The air was thick and smoky from burned incense they kept inside cracked coconuts. They waved lotus flowers in the air, and took turns standing crammed into a small room where the spirit inhabited. Young boys nearby sold small sparrows that you could buy to set free, while hundreds of families and sad-eyed children sat on plastic mats with their food. They were also selling food by the river, fruit, eggs, fish cakes, even snails. JC bought us some boiled corn, and we ate it by the riverside.

I'm hoping to get my schedule and books sometime today. I still haven't recieved it. I will have 31 students (in my 1st grade homeroom) all on my own, not to mention 22 in 8th grade math.

Please keep me in your prayers, as you are in mine.

Photos will come soon.
Comments:
Well, once you figure out the proper way to weave through the traffic, can you let us know? That should be just as entertaining.

cheers!
 
you are in my prayers trina! stay strong and good luck. God will be on your side. enjoy! you are living the life right now... 5 way deadly traffic or not! :-)

-ashley saunders
 
Trina Yeo:

News of semi-epic proportions. I'll leave you in the dark a little longer though.

Love your blog. I was looking at the source trying to figure out the HTML. Watch out, I didn't see a © anywhere on your page.

If my communication doesn't improve I'll build you a cake or something . . . or make you some ice cream.

Have fun in far away Cambodia. Can you send me more contact info, like e-mail and snail mail addresses? Somehow I don't have them (unless you use WWC e-mail?)

Miss you lots,
Alban (alban.exe@gmail.com)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

August 2007   September 2007   October 2007   November 2007   January 2008   February 2008   March 2008   April 2008   May 2008   June 2008  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]