august 25

At 6:30pm, we hear the “Noodle Seller” walk by from inside the Rogers’ house, he plays percussion on what sounds like a hollow wooden instrument. Phnom Penh is an interesting city, and because that adjective is horribly vague, I’ll say that it is magical, wonderful, destructed, poor, corrupt, where happiness and pain boils, bakes, fries in every street cart on every street corner in the city, where love and hate breathe the same air. It’s not extraordinary or particularly beautiful, yet it has life, laughter, poverty, beautiful, simple people; a city that compels you, excites you, depresses you: a perfect catalyst for discomfort and movement. Just what I said I had been looking for.

I live in an apartment at the steeple of the church, with two girls, my friend Liz from Walla Walla, and another girl I just met from Union, named Heather. We go up three flights of stairs, the last an iron spiral staircase, and we have the most beautiful balcony, where you can watch the stars if you wake up at 4am, like I did this morning, and then again just before 6am with Liz, where we watched the sunrise (which I took a picture of it, you can see it above). The Khmer's take this peaceful luxury for granted now, as I told a fellow staff at lunch of our experience and he replies, "does the sun not rise in U.S.?" We live across from Khmer mansions, we're told all the money to build them comes from corruption.



Liz and I (pictured above in our apartment) befriended a couple from Burma, who spent the last 5 years teaching in Seoul, Korea. 3 weeks ago they went to Thailand, did a week of prep, a week later (2 weeks ago) got married, went on their honeymoon all through Thailand, and then right after that, came here to Cambodia. The wife, Kimberly, has a youthful energy that is real and relevant, a laugh that is warm, funny, genuine, and inclusive. She's gutsy and dynamic, and says things (at our sabbath potluck) like, "westerners eat so quietly and stay in the same place, I like to eat and laugh and talk and keep eating. I feel like I'm eating at my own funeral." And when you laugh, she puts her finger over her lips, "sssshhh!" she says with a smile as wide as a jack-o-lantern. The husband is named Benjamin, and has black-rimmed glasses and silly jokes and funny commentary. He plays guitar and piano, and is genuinely nice. I am glad I have met them. It makes these transitions seem easier and more fun.

I miss you guys all, so tremendously much. Mom and dad. I hope to call you soon. Love you always and forever.
Comments:
hey trina! i LOVE the picture! It looks and sounds like a super "interesting" city. :) Places like that are a perfect catalyst for movement like you wrote. Oh, and heather is Tyler Henry's friend...it was funny because we put it together that she was going there and that you were going there and then i saw her name in your blog. :) n Enjoy every bit- Emily
 
Trina, we miss you bunches. Not quite as bad as when you first went away to UCA, but I am still sad. But am glad that you are experiencing new and interesting things. God will and is helping you grow. We support you in you endeavors. We are glad that the city interest you. Mom read you blog and said it is so poetic. How much of the city did you see so far? That couple that you and Liz befriended, are they there for a a while or just visiting? Well, I miss you lots and love you more.

Dad
 
You've arrived!! Sorry for falling asleep and not calling you back. Apparently staying up late (buncha nights in a row) makes you tired. Go figure.

Good to know that the first days are going well and that you are already meeting cool peeps. Quality. (I just wanted to use the word)

I was going to write Happy Sabbath, but I just realized that it's Sunday morning where you are--so, uhh, happy sunday.

Peas.
Phil

P.S. random question: did you bring your comp? i am debating whether i should bring mine.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

August 2007   September 2007   October 2007   November 2007   January 2008   February 2008   March 2008   April 2008   May 2008   June 2008  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]